School Based Health Center
School based health centers provide basic physical, mental, dental or other services as needed. The health center provides services beyond the scope of the school nurse practice and is not intended to replace the school nurse. The school based health center is required to maintain a working relationship with the physician of a child's medical home, to ensure that individual patient health plans are executed effectively and efficiently. Students can apply for ARKids and local resources connected to the health center for students and family convenience. The intent is for the center to act as a resource center for wellness and prevention. Typical characteristics of a SBHC are as follows:
- Located in the school or on school grounds.
- Work cooperatively within the school to become an integral part of the school.
- Provide a comprehensive range of services that meet the specific physical and behavioral health needs of the young people in the community.
- Employ a multidisciplinary team of providers to care for the students: nurse practitioners, registered nurses, physician assistants, social workers, physicians, alcohol and drug counselors, and other health professionals.
- Provide clinical services through a qualified health provider such as a hospital, health department, or medical practice.
- Require parents to sign written consents for their children to receive the full scope of services provided at the SBHC.
- Have an advisory board consisting of community representatives, parents, youth, and family organizations, to provide planning and oversight.
(courtesy of NASBHC)
For more information, please contact:
Tamara Baker, SBHC Advisor
Grant Programming/Physical Health Services
Jerri Clark, CSH Grant Manager
Elizabeth "Betsy" Kindall, Ed.D., SBMH Specialist
Grant Programming/Mental Health Services,
Tracy Starks, School Health Resource Officer
Sustainability /Medicaid Billing
- Jones Elementary School, Springdale, AR
- A Visit to the Lincoln, Fayetteville School District Wellness Centerand JointUse Agreement Walking Trail
- 2014-2015 School Based Health Centers - MAP